The Expert Sleepers USAMO (Universal Sample-Accurate MIDI Output) provides a sample-accurate, jitter-free MIDI output from your DAW.
The MIDI signal is generated by the USAMO software, a plug-in which runs as a virtual instrument (AU/VST/AAX, Mac & Windows), as audio in your DAW. The DAW sends MIDI to the plug-in; the plug-in translates that to audio and sends it to the USAMO hardware, via an output on your computer's audio interface. The USAMO then reconstructs the MIDI and outputs it on a standard 5 pin DIN MIDI socket.
In addition to MIDI note and controller data from the DAW, the USAMO software also generates MIDI clock, Song Position Pointer etc. It can also handle Sysex.
Because the MIDI signals are generated and transported as audio, they are guaranteed to be sample-accurately synced with your audio, and free of the jitter often associated with computer-generated MIDI.
The USAMO will launch at NAMM in January 2015.
Whereas the original ESX-8MD was sometimes incompatible with certain MIDI devices when running at a 44.1kHz sample rate, the mk2 is guaranteed to operate with all MIDI devices, at all sample rates.
The ESX-8MD mk2 is expected to be available in December 2014. Pricing unchanged.
We want to see the best video of a disting being used in a modular setup. Large or small, east coast or west, just doing something cool. Bonus points for showing off the illuminated jack sockets!
Entries should be posted to YouTube and/or Vimeo, and then let us know about them.
1st prize - two more distings!
runner up prize - one more disting!
Closing date: August 1st 2014. Judged solely by myself, Os. Judging of "best" may or may not take into account number of views. Judge's decision is final!
The disting is a 16-in-1 multifunction module, offering a variety of CV and audio processes, including a selection of oscillators
(LFOs/VCOs), in a compact 4HP package.
Unlike all previous Expert Sleepers modules, the disting is in no way reliant on a computer connection - it's a normal, standalone module.
Available now from all the usual stores.
The ESX-8MD is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight MIDI/DINsync outputs from one expansion header.
The ES-4/5 Controller software (part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way) allows the ESX-8MD outputs to be used for MIDI output (note - not just MIDI clock output, but as an actual MIDI port, capable of sending any MIDI messages). Since these outputs are driven from an audio connection, they have sample-accurate timing, which no USB MIDI interface can claim.
The Silent Way Sync plug-in would typically be used to send DINsync to the ESX-8MD, though any software capable of addressing the ES-4/5's expansion headers, via Silent Way or the Max/MSP external, can send clock pulses to it.
See the ‘where to buy’ page for purchasing information.
New in this version:
• Added new Run modes and a periodic reset feature to Silent Way Sync.
• Added virtual MIDI input ports to Silent Way ES-4 Controller and ES-5 Controller.
• Added ‘Manual DAC’ feature to Silent Way Step LFO.
• The Audio Unit version now implements Apple’s newer Audio Component API, allowing usage in modern (post-OS X 10.6) hosts that do not support the older Component Manager API.
• Updated Silent Way Soundplane’s OSC support for the new t3d format in the Soundplane Client v1.0 and above.
Download now from the downloads page.
We’ve just released three new modules:
* The ES-40 SPDIF Interface (£94.80) converts a standard S/PDIF input to five channels of expansion headers, which are used in conjunction with the Expert Sleepers ESX range of expanders.
* The ESX-8CV CV Expander (£130.80) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight CV outputs from one expansion header.
* The ESX-8GT mk2 Gate Expander (£54) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding 8 on/off outputs for use as gates, triggers, clocks etc. from one expansion header.
All are available immediately.
We’ve also announced the forthcoming ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander, expected to be available in the next couple of months.
We’re delighted that the Expert Sleepers ES-3 Lightpipe/CV Interface has been awarded an Electronic Musician Editor’s Choice 2014 award. They said “Whether you use Max/MSP, NI Reaktor, or the company’s own Silent Way plug-in, the ES-3 Mk3 is an essential tool for any serious modular-synth user.” Read the full text, and find out about the rest of the winners, here.